- Development Applications
- Planning Strategy and Policy
- City of Busselton Website
- Busselton Local Road Network Upgrades
Please review and manage the Cookie settings below. Apart from 'Strictly necessary cookies', you can change other cookie settings if present, at any time by clicking the 'Cookie Settings' link in the footer of the page.
Hello venue architects,
I am interested in some of the technical features of the building. The budget for technical equipment ($795 000) seems quite low, considering thats performing arts in the primary purpose of the venue.
I don't expect answers to these questions, It's just some considerations that will make future venue technicians lives easier.
- Will the lighting fixtures be all LED or a mixture of generics and LED's
- Will the lighting rig be accessible by a catwalk and will their be an elevated work platform budgeted for for accessing lights over the stage.
- Will a professional lighting console be budgeted for. (MA 2, Hog 4, ETC?)
- Will their be provision for two follow spots with suitable locations to position them.
- Will their be budget for lighting fixtures to be used on stage?
- Will their be budget for intelligent /moving lights?
- Will their be DMX's patching on stage for light fixtures?
- Will there budget for DMX hazers?
- Will their be lighting booms (on wheels) for side lighting fixtures on stage?
- What audio system will be used in the auditorium? Will it be a line array?
- Is their provision for delay speakers throughout the auditorium?
- Is their provision for infill speakers along the front edge of stage?
- Is their provision for monitor speakers for performers on stage?
- Will their be a dedicated Amplifier room?
- Will their be a Dante audio network throughout the venue, linking Mixers, I/O and speakers.
- Will the venue have a suitable stock of microphones, stands and DI Boxes to mic up large ensembles / bands?
- Will a large format front of house digital audio console be budgeted for. (Avid S6L, A&H D Live, etc)
- Will a Digital monitor audio console be budgeted for?
- Has a dedicated audio computer (Mac) been budgeted for, for playback of audio cues or recording from the front of house mixing console? (Software such as Qlab or Ableton)
- Will their be provision for a digitally controlled audio matrix system to control audio in foyers/ function rooms as well as green rooms / dressing rooms?
- Will their be dedicated stage over mics to feed the show relay audio?
- Will the front of house audio console be outside of the control room so that the operator can hear the room?
- Will their be appropriate patch points for both Audio and Lighting consoles to be set up in the middle of the raked stalls seating, particularly for live music / musical theatre performances when the audio technician needs to accurately mix microphones on stage?
- Will their be provision for an LED Screen / Cyclorama.
- Will their be a large projector, suitable for filling the entire Cyclorama
- Has a vision switcher been budgeted for?
- Has a dedicated vision computer been budgeted for?
- Has a comms / wireless comms system been budgeted for? ( e.g Riedel)
- Will their be a fly rail system above the stage for scenery, to hang lighting fixtures or speakers?
- Will a hearing assist loop be installed?
- Will their be show relay tv monitors in foyers, rehearsal rooms, green rooms, function spaces, etc?
- Will their be a dedicated Stage Managers desk backstage for someone to call a theatre show?
- Will their be a tarkett to cover the stage for dance performances?
- Will their be full hight loading dock doors and backstage areas to allow tall set pieces to be moved on an off stage?
- Will their be suitable (removable) stage 'legs' hung from a fly rail system?
- Will their be suitable technical storage areas for lights, cables, rigging equipment, speakers, projectors, monitor audio consoles, lecterns, etc?
- Will the backstage storage areas be temperature / humidity controlled for storage or instruments such as strings and percussions?
- Will the venue have a grand piano?
- Will their be sufficient room for large set pieces to be moved from one side stage to the other behind the cyclorama?
- Will the back wall of the auditorium be acoustically treated?
I hope these items may be taken into consideration when designing the technical systems for the venue.
They can often be the difference between a good venue and a great venue!
I look forward to the completion of a well designed performing arts venue which will stand the test of time.